Sunday, June 29, 2008

Tangent....

when i passed 10th it was but obvious that i will take admission in the AE junior college......who the hell in the world went outta colony man????

and then dad asked me well why not try other colleges??? and i asked why do??? but i nonetheless filled up the form for Swami Vivekanand......forget the name....it was OUTSIDE the colony.....that was the main thing......no big deal. i was determined i'll be with my friends in AEJC (Atomic Energy...what a hip name to start with....Swami??? the name sounded dead to me)....

But when i saw my name in that first list in Swami....i decided then and there i wanted to come here......WHY??? i still dont know.....i dont regret that decision.....more of an impulse rather.... but that was the first tangent that my life took!!!

everyone did engineering man!!! that meant everyone!!! so it was in colony, in AEJC and in Swamis.....but me.....no i wanted to do pure science???? WHY??? i dunno.....cause i seriously like mechanical engineering as much as biology.....i guess i didnt know that then.....what i did know was that i liked biology.....

i knew then that there was no money in this line.....that was the one thing i did know....i didnt know anything else.....like the fact that good opportunities are real hard to come by.....that there is no placement......and the competition is so high that only the top 1% go on to do masters from any decent institute.....

had i known all this i wud have taken up engineering with its fantastic packages and placements.....cause only i know how much of my life has rolled in uncertainity and fear this last year of bachelors.......but i didnt know all these sweet facts then.....

so i took up a BSc in microbiology......dad warned me.....in this line u gotta go till PhD or u perish midway and find a new line.....

that was when my life shot off on another tangent......all my friends from Swamis and Colony took up engineering......but not me.....i went in for BSc.....

now that i have a bachelors degree in hand.....isnt that supposed to be a good thing.....not if its a BSc.......well now that i have a BSc in hand i am off for an MSc......

this MSc must come from outside mumbai since mumbai univ sucks and this is the condition put by my dad to me if i am to continue in this line of work.....

i sense another tangent thats gonna shoot off......it'll include my first real experience with research.......my first hostel experience.....my first time away from home.....a lot of firsts......

later after MSc the same uncertainity will play its game before i get into any good PhD course....hopefully that will involve another country.... a lot of another firsts... another new tangent......

but now i am not scared like i was half of last year.......maybe later i will be.....but not now......cause the certainity of an MSc admission shields me......so bring it on!!!

atleast my....whole life keeps on curving and twisting and bending.....and some times a tangent shoots out....so i wonder is this ones ever gonna come a full circle......i hope it does....far far out in the future....cause then i will reminiscence and i know that will be a good feeling.....

2 comments:

Nikhil said...

Thats life,takes unexpected turns. Its only because you reside in india that opportunities dont present themselves to Science Majors, and they do to Engineers. try to get out of the country, and do what you love.

All the best in your future, and doing well and coping with all your firsts!

Siddharth a.k.a. Plasmabhai said...

thnx buddy.....